Quick Links

Horse Owner Today
Ask a Vet with
Dr. Harvey Domoslai, DVM

Corman Park Veterinary Services
5 miles West of Saskatoon, sk
on Highway 14 at Saskatoon Livestock Sales

Full facilities for the management of equine health issues.

Dr. Harvey Domoslai, DVM
Phone: (306) 384-7676
Emergencies: (306) 227-8331

Click here to ask Dr. Domoslai a question.

Ask a Vet!

Interesting Cases

A Loonie sized stone was removed from this geldings urethra at the end of his penis.

Interesting Cases
Horse Owner Today

Cockapoo Panting

posted by Horse Owner Today    |   July 31, 2012 07:06

Question:  Hi guys!
But my 12 year old cockapoo pants heavily after having a chew stick, rawhide or even a beef bone.
Should I stop giving them to her? This has just started in the last little while. The other two dogs don't seem to have any problem.
Thank you.

Answer:  Fay,  likely the panting is a result of strenuous chewing or eating for a prolonged period and not breathing as deeply as she should while she is chewing.  Her body is telling her she needs to get her oxygen levels up and therefore she pants.  It could be just aging and reduced lung capacity or it could be other things.  Does she pant more when she exercises.
Thanks for the question, Dr. D.

Tags: , ,

Dogs

Why Deworm Twice?

posted by Horse Owner Today    |   July 26, 2012 19:27

Question:  I have added a new horse to our herd. I have dewormed once.
My question is: how long should I wait to do a second dose?
It's been a week and there were lots of worms in the feces.
Answer:  You can deworm again anytime now. The only reason for 2 dewormings is to avoid worm impaction from big kill off.
Dr. Lisa Wayman DVM

Tags: , ,

Gelding Rubbing Face and Shoulders Raw

posted by Horse Owner Today    |   July 21, 2012 18:30

Question:  Hi Dr. Domaslai, I have a 9 yr old palomino gelding that started rubbing his mane on the pipe fence. I treated it with a fungicide spray. No luck. Now he is rubbing his face, neck and shoulders on the fence. He is rubbing raw places on his face. Ugh! He has never had this problem before. Any suggestions?

Answer:  Teresa;  I’d look closely in his ears and mane for any evidence of parasites or wheels or lesions from bug bites.  If he is sensitive to bug bites he could be reacting in this manner. Sometimes antihistamines or antiinflamatories can help and a good bug mask might give him some relief.  We also see some sun sensitive horses do this.   Does he have a bald face or pale pigmented in those areas?  If he is, a nice zinc ointment and a face mask may help.  Send pictures or get your vet to take a look if things don’t improve.
Dr. D.

Tags: , ,

Allergic Reaction

Moon Blindness

posted by Horse Owner Today    |   July 18, 2012 16:44

Question: Hi Dr. Harvey, greetings from Whitewood. I have a 17 yr old Clyde mare who has been diagnosed with an auto-immune disorder of her eyes (moon blindness) . They are often cloudy and there is irritation and discharge; she seems to be somewhat light-sensitive and they are getting cloudier for more of the time. She seems to drive fine with another horse but is hesitant and hyper-alert in new circumstances so her eyesight is failing. Is there anything I can do to ease her discomfort?

Answer:  Thanks for the query Janet, nice to hear from my hometown!  You can ease your mare's discomfort by applying an anti-inflammatory medication topically, provide shade as the eyes become very light sensitive and get her a fly mask.  Be proactive with her management Janet!  -Dr. D.

Tags: , ,

Disease

Garlic and Horses

posted by Horse Owner Today    |   July 17, 2012 08:00

Question: Wondering if you have an opinion on using a garlic supplement to help horses combat the bugs?

Answer:  I’ve heard anecdotally that garlic is a good natural  bug-off.  I know if works for people and have a supplier who has a high garlic supplement intended for horses.  Thanks for your question! Dr. D.

Tags: , ,

Live vs Killed Vaccine

posted by Horse Owner Today    |   July 16, 2012 12:05

Question: Hello, I live in Wisconsin, just had my Peruvian Paso horse vaccinated with a 4 way given by my boarding facility and a West Nile that I bought. My horse reacted to the 4 way with a touch of "flu". He did not eat or move for 2 days, and after 2 weeks, he seems to be getting back to his old self. She said it was probably due to a "live virus" vaccine. What's the difference between "killed" and "live" and what is best for my horse? The last 2 years, I have given him a 4 way, and I have never seen him react like that. I really appreciate your time. Thank you so much. Sincerely, Carol Harkner

Carol:  A live virus is actually a modified live virus particle that is able to replicate and therefore stimulate a much stronger and sustained immune response in your horse.  A killed virus is just as it says killed particles that passively float in your horses body promoting immunity.   In my opinion live vaccines are always better however by there very nature are more reactive than killed vaccines.  I’d check the brand of four way used on your horse and use a different brand next year.  There sometimes is a carrier or immune modulator added to vaccines that your horse may have reacted to.  That is not saying the vaccine is no good or never worked it’s just your horse is sensitive to it. Good luck next year.
Dr. Harv

Tags: , ,

Vaccination

Gelding Has Allergic Reaction

posted by Horse Owner Today    |   July 16, 2012 08:57

Question:  Hi there Dr. Domoslai, I have quite a concern with my gelding's neck. He has a swelling that seems to be getting larger and harder as the day goes on. I took some pics from this morning and this afternoon. I think he may need to be seen. Unless a bug bite could do this much inflammation?! There isn't an obvious location of a bite, no scratch, no sign of anything on the exterior.

Answer:  Thanks for contacting me quickly.  Your gelding looks like he is having some allergic reaction to bug bites.   We are cold hosing and rubbing him down.   He is receiving  bute and if there is no improvement by morning, we will add an antihistamine and an antiinflamatory.

Recognition and rapid response often curtail a potentially serious or fatal result, great job by the owner in this case. Dr. D.

Tags:

Inflamed Ear

posted by Horse Owner Today    |   July 13, 2012 20:50

Question:  We have a young golden retriever, a farm dog.  She has one ear that looks perfectly normal, the other ear is red, itchy and dirty.  We do have farm cats, does she have ear mites?  The second question is how can we keep her out of the water troughs?  She is in the water continually, makes a mess in the troughs.  She is current on her shots, etc.

Answer:  Sounds like your dog is the victim of her forays into the water troughs.  Retriever ears are prone to this ailment because they don't dry out properly, good luck trying to keep her out of the water.  Stop at the clinic and pick up a tube of medication, changes the ph of the ear back to what is should be, simply to apply and inexpensive.  Dr. D.

Tags: , ,

West Nile Booster

posted by Horse Owner Today    |   July 13, 2012 20:37

Question:  Hi there. You did herd health for us earlier this spring. I was just curious...do we need a booster shot for the West Nile?
Thanks E.
Answer:  Hi E, If your horse has previously been vaccinated (in the past 2-3 years) you don't need a booster. If this is their first vaccine, yes you need to boost at this time. Thanks -Dr.D.

Tags: , ,

Dr. D’s HOT Advice on “How To Keep Your Horse Cool”

posted by Horse Owner Today    |   July 11, 2012 10:22

The hot days of summer can be dangerous for your horse (pets & humans as well).
Warning signs that your horse is in distress include rapid breathing, lethargy and the primary symptom – depression.
The simplest advice is to provide your horse with access to shade, a supply of good quality drinking water and salt.  Most horses will be fine.
Electrolytes are a great option; however some horses will not drink them at full strength.  Electrolytes can be added to drinking water at a reduced rate as a proactive heat management tool.
OMG what do I do?
Get your horse cooled off, a full body blast (no misting if the horse is in distress), offer water, no more than ½ gallon every 10 minutes for an hour (often horses will overdrink on cold water and then colic), then free choice water.
Are you working/showing your horse?  Horses that are working during extreme heat may tie up dehydrate.  An effective proactive heat management tool is to feed a preworkout electrolyte.  Electrolytes replace potassium lost during exercise - potassium cannot be replaced with drinking water.
Knowing your horse, being vigilant and proactive are the best possible preventative action a horse owner can take.  Do not “wait and see” if your horse is acting out of character, take action and of course contact your veterinarian.
Stay cool!